My word for 2021 is emerge. After a year of focusing on home, I’m ready to peek my head out and see what the world is like. I’m ready to emerge as a writer and artist more fully, to bend myself toward those practices and see where that takes me. I want to rediscover and more fully know myself in 2021, and to confidently let what I find be visible. I’m ready to rise decisively, to be indulgent in my creativity and abilities.
After so much rest and hibernation, I am ready to emerge.
Here is my list for 2021:
- See a play, opera, or other theatrical production. 
- Put feet in the Atlantic Ocean. 
- Go on a writing retreat. 
- Drive a motorcycle. 
- Visit Mount Hood. 
- Visit Mount Saint Helens. 
- Blog every day for 30 consecutive days. 
- Go whale watching. 
- Teach a writing workshop. 
- Go for a long solo hike. 
- Go on a camping trip. 
- Go a week without Netflix. 
- Go strawberry picking and make jam. 
- Go dancing. 
- Graduate from the IPRC! 
- Go to Universal Studios (Harry Potter World). 
- Take a 24-hour digital detox. No screens. 
- Make a zine. 
- Do a float tank. 
- Relax in a hot spring. 
- Replace plates and bowls with handmade ones. 
- Get a king-sized bed. 
- Decorate holiday cookies. 
- See a movie alone. 
- Visit a synagogue. 
Write a list of 10 reasons I am a good mother. 
- Go kayaking at least once. 
- Try dry brushing. 
- Visit Denver. 
- Get a manicure. 
- Get a facial. 
- Visit a sauna. 
- Have an energy healing. 
- Visit an art museum. 
- Take Ori to a children’s museum. 
- Buy flowers. 
- See a comedy show. 
Watch a sunset. 
- Get car mats and seat covers. 
- Do a family photo shoot. 
- Do morning pages for a week. 
- Leave a 100% tip. 
- Visit a city I’ve never been to. 
- Go skinny dipping. 
- Make a family tree for Ori. 
Finish reading The Wise Heart .
- Finish Soft Spot.
Take another yoga class with Megan.
- Take a kickboxing class.
- Knit something.
- Take a watercolor painting class.
- Repair favorite quilt.
Get COVID-19 vaccine (yay!). Play on a playground with Ori. Paint with Ori.
- Make play dough from scratch.
- Lay in the sunshine.
- Finish a book arts project.
- Take a long hike with Ori.
Celebrate my 30th birthday in a meaningful way.
- Have a bonfire.
- Buy a piece of art I love.
- Buy more throw pillows and blankets.
- Have a least one friend date every month with a different friend.
- Send a holiday card that arrives before the holidays.
- Finish putting together emergency kits.
- Take a writing class.
- Buy 10 new books.
Add to Edna St. Vincent Millay collection. Get a haircut.
- Try punch needling.
- Bake cookies.
- Have a cozy, casual dinner party.
- Create a cozy reading nook.
- Have car detailed.
- Have coffee or tea on the couch with a friend.
- Deliver food to someone who needs it.
- Submit work once a month.
- Print photos.
- Send 10 thank you cards to people I’m grateful for.
- Update personal website with artwork and recent writing.
Eat at a restaurant.
- Take Ori to play in the snow.
Eat something I grew myself.
- See my mother and have her meet Ori.
- Attend a story time.
- Take an anti-racism class.
- Read five books by Black writers.
- Buy art from Black artists.
- Participate in a neighborhood event.
- Attend three readings.
Buy a nice rug.
- Find fancy candlesticks, cloth napkins, and placemats for new table.
- Have headshots taken.
- Send someone a care package.
- Do annual collecting through notebooks.
- Buy another fun pair of glasses.
- Find the perfect summer smock dress.
- Get an apron.
- Play cards.
- Finish this list.