The year of really living
Last year I focused on healing and conquering fear, and WOW, did I ever. I learned how much blame I was carrying for things that weren’t my fault. I dug into my past traumas and learned how to take better care of myself and be my own best advocate. I learned how to grieve (really, deeply, truly). And I learned how to be brave and move on.
I tried acupuncture (hated it), and faced my fear of money by opening a savings account and a retirement account. I did my own taxes (a disaster, highly don’t recommend). I went vegan for an entire month. I gave up drinking for 30 days, and then some. I filled my house with plants. I conquered my fear of driving and bought not one, but two cars. I let myself get really, really lonely, and then I let myself fall in love.
Oh, and I accidentally got pregnant.
So 2019 is about taking all of things I learned and using them to start really living my life. As Maya Angelou said: “My mission in life is not merely to survive, but to thrive; and to do so with some passion, some compassion, some humor, and some style.”
Here’s my to-do list:
- Go skinny dipping. 
- Get a typewriter .
- See a play, opera, or other theatrical production .
- Put my feet in the Atlantic Ocean .
- Finish Miles of Sparks. 
- Learn one song on harmonica. 
- Take a weekend writing retreat. 
- Ride on a motorcycle. 
- Go to the beach and lay in the sun. 
- Ship everything from Michigan. 
- Visit Mount Hood. 
- Visit Mount Saint Helens. 
- Have a house party. 
- Make a reading corner. 
- Apply to grad school. 
- Send work to one place a month. (1/2/3/4/5/6/7/8/9/10/11/12) 
- Take a writers residency at Sundress. 
Take a swimming class. 
- Blog every day for 30 consecutive days. 
- Go whale watching. 
- Learn how to make hardcover notebooks. 
- Find a place to volunteer. 
- Take a writing workshop. 
- Teach a writing workshop. 
- Write a children’s book. 
- Go on a trip with a friend. 
- Have a really beautiful birth experience.
- Buy 20 new (used) books.
- Have a Christmas tree and a Menorah.
- Take a real, luxurious vacation.
- Pick out the perfect logo for BRAVER.
- Do at least one pop-up shop.
- Find a signature scent.
- Get a portable treadmill or elliptical.
- Host a dinner party.
- Host a game night.
- Apply to grad school.
- Plant perennials.
- Grow something and eat it (a salsa garden!).
- Re-read the Harry Potter series (again).
- Go for a long solo hike.
Fill out 2019 planning workbook.
- Make the book of things found in books.
- Go on a camping trip.
- Have a picnic.
- Go to an art opening.
- Buy art from a friend.
- Go strawberry picking and make jam.
- Make a rag rug for Mugs.
- Make a paw ornament for Mugs.
- Put holiday lights on the outside of your house.
Get a massage.
- Get a pedicure.
- Create a gallery wall of local art.
- Take a 48-hour digital detox.
- Hand-make all of your holiday gifts.
Get a gym membership. Take prenatal yoga classes.
- Exercise for 30 minutes three times a week.
Learn more about Jewish culture.
- Take a romantic vacation.
- Create a fridge organization system.
- Create a cupboard organization system.
- Get a mattress cover and mattress pad.
- Create a book wall for the nursery.
- Paint with acrylic paints.
- Paint with gouache paints.
Eat funfetti cake on your birthday. Have a candlelit dinner at home.
- Have breakfast in bed.
- Help write a script.
- Make a zine.
- Send letters to Amy.
- Learn how to let people help me.
- Work your way up to meditating for 30 minutes.
- Create a recipe book.
- Make homemade dog treats.
- Introduce yourself to your new neighbors.
- Go a week without Netflix.
- Go dancing.
- Make a pizza from scratch.
- Make bread from scratch.
- Find the perfect gray cardigan.
- Sage cleanse your house.
- Take a kickboxing class.
- Get 8 hours of undisturbed sleep.
Text five people something encouraging.
- Buy an expensive clothing item you really love.
- Write a love letter to yourself.
- Make an affirmations zine so you have them all in one place.
- Try doing a spending log for a month.
- Have a dining room table and eat at it regularly.
- Make your own pickles.
- Eat oysters.
- Eat smores for breakfast.
- Own all the Harry Potter movies on DVD.
Get paperback versions of all the Harry Potter books. Get the illustrated Harry Potter books.
- Bake banana bread for someone.
Visit a museum.
- Finish this list.
I’ve been doing lists of 101 Things for over a decade. If you want to see other lists or learn about how it started, begin here.