Here’s a little list I keep for myself. The bold items are all from last year’s list (some are even from 2014, noted). Things that are crossed out have been accomplished.
- Submit at least one piece of work for publication each month [
1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12]
Print a collection of poems.
- Take a painting class.
- Take a sculpting/pottery class.
- Travel out of the country.
- Go canoeing or kayaking .
- Go horseback riding .
- Get wet in a waterfall .
Read twelve books.
- Yes Please by Amy Phoeler
- Mothers, Tell Your Daughters by Bonnie Jo Campbell
- Is Everyone Hanging Out Without Me? And Other Concerns by Mindy Kaling
- The Life Changing Magic of Tidying Up by Marie Kondo
- Big Magic: Creative Living Beyond Fear by Elizabeth Gilbert
- Why Not Me? by Mindy Kaling
- Walking in this World: The Practical Art of Creativity by Julia Cameron
- Unaccustomed Earth by Jhumpa Lahiri
- State of Wonder by Ann Patchett
- The Signature of All Things by Elizabeth Gilbert
- Wild by Cheryl Strayed
- The Last American Man by Elizabeth Gilbert
- The Spender’s Guide to Debt Free Living by Anna Newell Jones
- See a play, opera, or other theatrical production.
- See the Atlantic Ocean.
- Have only one credit card.
- Go skinny dipping.
- Buy a watch and an alarm clock.
- Sleep in a hammock.
- Get a professional massage.
- Start a collection of records.
- Dive off something.
Get glasses repaired or get new ones.
Travel to 3 new cities in America.
- Start a recipe book.
- Send someone flowers.
Look into graduate school.
- Buy a power tool.
- Sign up for yoga classes (and go to them).
- See a band you love live.
- Sleep under the stars.
- Read a book by Edith Wharton.
- Stay at a bed and breakfast.
- Go wine tasting .
- Make homemade ice cream.
- Make homemade pickles.
- Complete a cross stitch project.
- Have a tea party .
- Learn how to knit socks with heels.
- Learn how to knit mittens.
- Volunteer and give money to one charity a month.
- January – Wildlife Rehab Center of Grand Rapids
- February – Well House
- March/April – Arbor Circle
- May – Grand Rapids Pride Center
- June/July – Grand Rapids Creative Youth Center
- August –
- September –
- October –
- November –
- December –
- Schedule time for self every day (during which you can write, read, nap, blog, do any things that’s not working, etc).
- No phone before 10AM or after 10PM.
Get a landline telephone.
- Get a typewriter.
- Schedule a friend date once a week.
- Start a retirement account.
Get health insurance.
Put money in a savings account each paycheck.
Send letters every month.
Write and self-publish a small book or zine.
Host a Galentine’s Day Party.
Read “The Art of Tidying Up.”
- Get a tattoo.
- Learn how to poach an egg properly.
Study Russian or Polish.
Take a friendship trip.
Take a workshop (in tarot reading or something unexpected).
Visit the Grand Rapids Art Museum.
See a movie at Wealthy Theatre.
- See a movie at the UICA.
Visit the Grand Rapids Public Library.
- Go for a long hike.
- Swim in Lake Michigan.
- Buy a proper fitting bathing suit that makes you feel wonderful.
- Buy pajamas for every night of the week that are beautiful.
Invest in beautiful undergarments.
Buy a pair of jeans that make you feel comfortable.
Purchase something from every small business on South Division.
- Plant perennials.
Read your work out loud somewhere at least twice.
Spend a weekend at The Cove.
Go antiquing and buy something you really love, regardless of the price.
- Make candles.
Hand-make everyone’s holiday gifts.
- Bring someone lasagna when they need it.
- Make a family tree.
Take photographs with something other than your phone and print them.
- Buy an espresso machine and make lattes at home.
- See a movie alone.
Go out to eat alone.
- Go a week without watching any television.
Set up a better recycling/trash/compost system.
- Get newspapers and read them.
Create a filing system that works.
- Make a blanket.
Keep an address book.
- Go dancing.
- Ride on a ferry.
Finish reading Wabi Sabi book.
- Install peg rail above kitchen sink for pots & pans storage.
- Learn how to play harmonica.
- Go on a date with Giselle once a month.
Be more selfish.
- Go ice skating.
Bike to work.
- Find a pen pal.
Get to know your neighbors.
Connect with other writers on a regular basis; exchange writing.
- Eat more slowly and never have your phone out while eating.
Write more in journal.
- Buy twelve brand new books for yourself. (1)
- Take a small business class.
- Finish this list.